• Subscribe
  • When hiring, how do you check the details of applicant's experience?

Nadir Arda Oral
    3 replies
    When the CV is checked, the first part that the HR team wants to see is, of course, the experience section. The more experience an applicant has, the greater the chance of being selected. However, recently, most people have started to add to their CVs as experience even the tasks that they do not take a very active role and do not develop themselves much. While this situation shows that he has a lot of experience in the image, when we look at the details, it actually shows that there is not much experience. So, how do you check the applicant's experience when hiring?

Replies

Steven Birchall
    Unless you know someone at the company they use to work at, it's hard to get a true read, as no one ever provides a reference who isn't going to give them a favourable review either. For me I think you need to look at what they're claiming on their CV first and the probability that they may have been involved or done what they claim (ie. If they are a Product Manager intern and are claiming to have built the Roadmap at a company with a product team for 20+ you know they are most likely exaggerating.) and then in the interview process, you just need to get them to expand on what they did and be prepared to drill into it. IMO, I feel you can usually tell when someone has 'lived' a claimed experience pretty quickly in the interview process. They can often articulate what they did pretty confidently and add a level of detail unintentionally when describing the scenario.
    Murali Gottumukkala
    I do check for experience, but the experience is very much contained based on the company's culture, people, and different roles assigned during their tenure. I mostly look for things outside of that and main thing as personality. Skills can be grown through hard work, I look for openminded individuals who are willing to learn and work with the team
    Nadir Arda Oral
    @murali_aasaan I absolutely agree with what you said. The skills required for each company are unique, so it can be more useful to learn about the applicant's style of skill acquisition rather than looking at the skills they have.