• Subscribe
  • Mobile web vs native

Farid Sultani
    4 replies
    I just launched yesterday, and the feedback and support has been incredible. I wanted to share a product decision I made, and get your thoughts. I built my app for the web, then optimized it for mobile devices since I have users on both platforms. I know it's probably more common to build mobile apps natively, but I feel like there might be a downside to this approach, which is that it can create friction for users who just want to test your app. Making them go to an app store (whether it's from Apple or Google) and download isn't hard, but it is an extra step they have to take just to try your app. If it's on mobile web, they can immediately begin using it since all phones have built-in web browsers. I actually got this idea from Perplexity, which was what inspired me. I feel like removing that "barrier" (for lack of a better word) of requiring a user to download the app just to test it out can reduce friction, ultimately leading to more users. I know this can't work for all products since plenty of apps need a device's native functionality, but for those that can function as web apps, I think it can be a good option. Once you get enough users using the app, you can offer them the native version. In full transparency, I build for web, not mobile. Still, that wouldn't stop me from building a native app.

Replies

Ron Bull Innovation
    Congratulations on the launch of your project! The decision to develop a web app first and then optimise it for mobile devices sounds well thought out, especially in terms of accessibility and user-friendliness. The hurdle of having to download an app can actually be a barrier for new users. Your approach to eliminating this barrier can make it easier to get started and therefore increase your user base. It's important to consider the specific needs of your target audience and the functionalities of your app. As you rightly pointed out, some apps require the more in-depth features of an operating system that are only accessible via a native app. The strategy of starting with a web app and offering a native app later can be a good approach to first gain users and collect feedback. This will allow you to better understand which functions are crucial for a native app. There are plenty of examples of large companies that have been very successful with this approach and have grown much faster than with a native app and have not regretted the decision. https://onilab.com/blog/20-progr... I wish you continued success and look forward to seeing how your app develops!