• Subscribe
  • Marketing-driven or Product-driven

Saihhold Zhao
    5 replies
    These days, I have been discussing a perspective with my co-founders: whether our new business should be marketing-driven or product-driven. Let me explain the difference. Marketing-driven means prioritizing finding a product that is easier to promote, and conducting marketing activities before creating the product. On the other hand, product-driven entails identifying something unique and developing it first, and then putting in our best efforts to promote it. What do you believe is the most effective approach to initiate a new project?

Replies

Ann Nelson
    Honestly, it's a tightrope walk. Stellar product, zero marketing? Dead in the water. Top-notch marketing, shoddy product? Short-lived hype. Balance is key.
    Stephanie
    @nelsonann23 Nailed it! It has to work in favor of both ways. I don't think you can do one and not the other.
    Interesting question, I asked ChatGPT, and here is what I got: ChatGPT The effectiveness of the marketing-driven or product-driven approach depends on various factors, including the nature of the business, the target market, and available resources. Ultimately, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. However, here are some perspectives on each approach: Marketing-driven: Quick market validation Customer-centric approach Agility in adapting to market demands Potential for early customer acquisition Need for strong marketing expertise Product-driven: Focus on innovation and differentiation Building a unique value proposition Emphasis on product quality and features Potential for long-term customer loyalty Need for strong product development capabilities In determining the best approach, it's essential to consider the specific context, competitive landscape, and customer needs. In some cases, a balanced approach that combines elements of both marketing and product-driven strategies may yield the best results. Conducting market research, gathering customer feedback, and analyzing industry trends can be valuable in informing your decision-making process.
    Royce Wong
    Solve for problems and the narrative will come.