• Subscribe
  • I have a new product, but I can't find the courage to share it here, I don't know why. What do I do?

Devrim Vardar
    14 replies
    I shared it recently on HackerNews of YCombinator. It stayed whole day on the homepage. Attracted more than 15K visitors and already around 200 users. And even 1 paying customer, on trial stage. But when it comes to sharing here, I hear stories, I hear rules, best practices, do's and don'ts, launches going wrong, and all. I'm a solo founder, I feel like I have one shot, but I don't want it to go wrong. I don't know. What would you suggest?

Replies

Devrim Vardar
    At least you can talk all by yourself. It's very relaxing, spritually cleansing and purifying. Almost like yoga.
    Devrim Vardar
    I couldn't even find my post after going back to the list of posts. How will anyone find it? And answer it?
    Devrim Vardar
    There are probably times also when and if people check this. place. Or maybe I even asked my question on the wrong place? Where nobody looks.
    Adrian M. Peticila 🟡
    How to stop fearing self-branding 6 ways to be a natural when building your personal brand. "Adrian, I suck at talking about myself; I'm ashamed; I have nothing new to say; this is a bad idea!" I know. We are all like this. But your authority and expertise can only shine through if and only if you build it/show it to the world. Here are the 6 methods I use with my clients to overcome this objection. **"The whole world is a stage, and we are all actors"** Act it until you make it - a different take on "fake it till you make it" It's your chance to build your brand, and it happens with each word you write, every post, every comment, every small step you take. **Imagine you're talking about someone else** You'll be amazed at how easy it'll be to praise and appreciate this "other" person. We're all shy and fear talking about ourselves - but we don't have the same problem when talking about others. Express yourself freely, and it'll become second nature. **In the beginning, nobody cares** And it's such a relief! This gives you enough time to practice, get better, stand firmer on your feet, and begin mastering this art. Relax and remember: they all care about themselves, not about you. Not for now, at least. The spotlight effect is a b*tch. **Pressure is for the weak!** You have enough pressure on your hands already, you wear (too) many hats, and you juggle many running chainsaws in your business. Don't add stress worrying about this - you'll be fine. It's zero risk, very high-reward. Once you start it. **Turn it into a conversation** Forget about choosing the perfect words and transforming them into an oratorial speech. Keep it conversational. Rehearse it with your family. Call a friend and say it to them. **Talk, don't "present"!** There's awesomeness in resilience Don't stop - you know how hard it was to start this snowball; why stop it before it starts gaining size? Keep at it; sooner rather than later, you'll thank yourself. Brand building is an infinite road, but it starts with the first steps. These are it. They might sound stupidly simple, but they work. I've used this recipe with tens of founders, executives, and entrepreneurs wanting to build their brands.
    Devrim Vardar
    @adrian_m_peticila You are definitely right! But, I'm not actually afraid of branding or talking about myself. I'm afraid that it will not be seen, will not be heard, and that even for simple thing like sharing your story it is left to the mercy to the software algorithms and weird rules and exceptions any platform is built on.
    Devrim Vardar
    It is almost like there are totems, superstitions and esoteric traditions around sharing on any platform.
    Devrim Vardar
    So you can't launch anything. As you can only be hunted by the best and most influential hunters. You can only be a prey. If you build something.
    Olena Bomko
    The LinkedIn Inbound Playbook
    The LinkedIn Inbound Playbook
    I have a different story. I understand how PH works. But I don't understand how to be on the HN's homepage :) I launched solo on Product Hunt, too. It's difficult. But everything is possible. Schedule your launch on PH. Get your Coming Soon page. And start share it on PH (discussions), Twitter/LinkedIn. I created a free PH launch checklist. Will send you on Twitter.
    Sofia Gertzen
    I feel you, I keep postponing my launch date until things fall into place, but they don't do that. Although what holds me back is worrying that the product is not ready yet and wanting to make sure things don't break. But - you already have successful launches on other platforms! You must've already attracted a great crowd and I bet that many people from HN actually also hang out on PH - is that not something you can leverage?
    Devrim Vardar
    @pixelpirat Yes, you're right. But you shouldn't worry about product being ready. Being a creator/maker is hard enough. I feel like no crowd is connected now because of the algos. Just, recently an account known as a maker with 60K followers on twitter was complaining about being buried on PH.
    Leo Cobain
    Feeling hesitant is natural, but overcoming it is key to sharing your product. Start by reminding yourself of the value your product brings. Take small steps: share it with friends or in smaller communities first. Embrace feedback as a tool for improvement. Remember, every successful product has a beginning. Your courage will grow as you take those initial steps. Go for it! 👍🚀
    Devrim Vardar
    @leo_cobain Thank you Leo for the uplifting mood. 🙏❤️ I'm not worried about my product or the feedback. I'm fine with both. I'm worried about visibility. ON ALL PLATFORMS. You just cannot get visibility. Even if you have followers. Algos and influencers manage visibility, own visibility. You just share and get lost. (Just, recently an account known as a maker with 60K followers on twitter was complaining about being buried on PH not by votes by visibility.) And also ALL THE PLATFORMS are blaming you for the failure. It's YOUR FAULT you don't know the rules, your fault you don't use the right totem, your fault you did not dance around the post and sang "Oh, Holy Post!" in the right tone, before sharing...