• Subscribe
  • How do you start the development of your new mobile app project?

Abdurrahman Yiğit
    14 replies
    I use Flutter and my own boilerplate spesifically but wanted to see what is the community's approach on this.

Replies

Kathleen Edwards
    To start a new mobile app project, define your goals, target audience, and platform. Then, create a clear roadmap, choose the right tech stack, and assemble a skilled development team.
    Nicole Park
    Launching soon!
    I've developed everything from scratch so far. I've heard of very_good_cli, but I haven't tried it yet. :)
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @nicolepark I see, so can I ask you a question? I'm trying to understand the developers' ideas. Why don't you use a boilerplate to speed up your development process? You don't think there is such a boilerplate? Do you believe that boilerplates turn into a headache over time? Do you think there is no need for that? From my perspective, no boilerplate on the market was exactly what I wanted, so I developed my own over time. And in this way, I can handle the ‘legwork’ parts of a new project very quickly. For example setting up the router, localization, architecture, folder structure etc. And even some utilities such as Push Notifications, Analytics etc. Also some common pages like splash or onboarding or authentication etc. What is your story?
    Benson Xu
    built it from boilerplate and ai like cursor helps me a lot right now
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @anbangx That's a solid combo right there. Boilerplate + AI = Lightning Speed May I ask: What is your stack? And also which boilerplate you used? Personally I use Flutter. From my perspective, no boilerplate on the market was exactly what I wanted, so I developed my own over time.
    Matt El Mouktafi
    I built it from scratch every time :) Do you find it useful to start with a boilerplate ?
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @melmouk Personally I do. I don't like to spend time building the same features again and again. For example router, architecture, folder structure etc. It helps me with two things: 1- It saves time (only if you know how things work, since I developed my own boilerplate I know how things work) 2- It ensures it's functionally bug-free. Since it has been developed and tested for a lot of scenarios. Rather than building it from scratch and dealing with the bugs I build it once, use it countless times. I believe this should work with one-product only companies as well, since the main goal is launching the product quickly and bug-free. What do you think about that? I think that there is a prejudice against using boilerplate in the community. I think this is because people don't know how the underlying code works, and over time boilerplate becomes more of a headache than a help.
    Rick Fan
    Sider for iOS 2.0
    I like having a fresh start.
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @rick_fan Got it! I am trying to understand the developers' perspective on this. Why don't you use a boilerplate to speed up your development process? You don't think there is such a boilerplate? Do you believe that boilerplates turn into a headache over time? Do you think there is no need for that? Or any other reason that I haven't mentioned? I would like to hear your idea in more detail. Personally, I like to use boilerplates. I developed my own since there was none that was exactly what I wanted. I believe it speeds up the process by eliminating cumbersome tasks such as setting up router, architecture, folder structure etc. I even modularized some utils such as Push Notification, analytics, revenue cat etc. I even went further and created common pages such as splash, onboarding, authentication etc. What is your story?
    Prince
    It is good to start from scratch but it depends on your development purpose, and timeline, in that you will get a good template then it's not bad
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @prince36 Got it! In which cases do you think starting from scratch is good? I developed my own boilerplate overtime and am using it in every app I start. I believe it reduces the "legwork" For example I don't like to build the router structure every time or architecture or localization etc. I even modularized some utils and pages. Push Notification, Analytics, Splash Page, Onboarding Pages etc.
    Prince
    @apodebana in that case you can use the module because it's the same for every application. If you are talking about Push notifications, Analytics, etc then you can use it. When trying out new ideas or paradigms, a fresh start can allow you to explore without constraints from existing code. If the project has very specific needs or a unique architecture that doesn't fit then go for new one
    Vaibhav
    Flow State Training
    Flow State Training
    Launching soon!
    Learnt Swift in July, Built the app in August and Launched in September!
    Abdurrahman Yiğit
    @vaibhavdwivedi Which one of you is faster? The Flash or you?