• Subscribe
  • How do you decide the target audience for your product?

Harris Cheng
    13 replies

Replies

Nancy Powell
    Identify pain points, analyze competitors, survey potential users, and examine market trends.
    Harris Cheng
    The struggle is whether we should (1) pick a niche and focus for a period first or should we (2) aim for a wider base first and narrow down as we get more insights from users?
    Julien Zmiro
    Intercom
    Intercom
    Top Product
    @harrischh Yeah that's always a hard question. I see that as a scale with very broad on one end and very niche on the other. I think you should aim to move towards the niche end as much as possible in the early stage because it makes a lot of things easier (marketing, positioning, sales, product decisions etc). But where you actually land depends a lot on your level of confidence about the niche because you don't want to be too focused on the wrong audience. So I'd say start maybe a little bit broader and as you get more confident about your audience (through interviews, benchmarks etc but also gut feeling), move slowly towards the niche end. It's a continuous process of iterations anyway.
    Harris Cheng
    @zmiro Thanks for your feedback, it's very useful indeed. - Start with the most niche end possible without sacrificing confidence in the right TA - Narrowing down once you got conviction Nice stuff!
    Lindsay Davis
    It's pretty simple. Conduct thorough market research and analyze demographic, psychographic, and behavioral factors to identify the most receptive and relevant audience for our product.
    Harris Cheng
    @imlindsay Good insight there! Connected with you on Linkedin, feel free to share more about your upcoming launch with me in the DM. Happy to support!
    Geri Máté
    Easier to gain relevance when you identify the problems of a smaller audience. Then you can find new ways how a larger audience can benefit from your solution and grow from that point. You also spare the struggles of being everything to everyone, you'll have to focus on similar user demands instead of varying expectations.
    Harris Cheng
    @geri_mate You're right! My current struggle is that there is a very dispersed and scattered landscape of people who are very interested. I'm not sure if I should keep everyone in my radar first or pick any one of them. The drawback would be that we'll find less people for user interview.
    We dive into market research to understand the pain points, needs, and desires of potential users. We also create detailed personas that represent our ideal users and we look at competitors' audiences. Are there gaps or underserved segments that we can tap into?
    Stefan Pettersson
    Coffee Companion
    Coffee Companion
    My philosophy is to start niche with a plan to widen. The more niche you are the more exact you can be in your communication, the more spearheaded your marketing can be, and the more precise can your solution be to actually solve a pain point for your audience. You really don't want to end up launching something that is a patchwork of nice-to-have features. Much better to have one must-have. This strategy also plays well in risk mitigation and validation. It is usually quicker to build one thing for a niche user, than trying to satisfy a lot of different use-cases. Once you get traction in your niche audience, you get more knowledge and reduce the number of assumptions in your product strategy, and can gradually expand to a wider target audience.
    Steve Lou
    It can be one of the hardest parts when you're launching a product. We've been told to "do things that don't scale" at first and I think it's better to start with a niche (to better understand their pain points and offer them a proper MVP) and then widen your net to get a broader audience. Your target persona will naturally come to mind as you speak with many more people to validate the hypotheses you've drawn from your early discussions. I also find that speaking with your niche/audience on 1:1 is extremely valuable (recording your calls is the best, if possible). No matter the route you take, user discovery interviews are very important!