• Subscribe
  • Here's my best reason why we should build in public

Cyril Gupta
    6 replies
    So, for the past few days, I’ve been hanging out in various #buildinpublic communities. The whole deal is about shouting out what you’re creating while you're still in the trenches building it. The hope is that you'll stir up an audience all set to jump on board when you finally drop your creation. Here's why it makes sense 🥓 You get ideas about what people want. You can build that stuff. 🥓 You can validate your ideas and your features. Get feedback early before going to market. 🥓 Some people might even be your early customers out of that crowd. But these are not the reason why I want you to build in public. The best reason is this... Building in Public teaches you to be a marketer As you’re slogging away, you're basically marketing something that’s not even a solid entity yet. You're convincing people to believe in your creation even before it's real, and sometimes nudging them to invest their time and money. And my friend, that’s where the real magic happens. You learn the most important job that a founder must do: SELL. This skill will keep you in business for life and this is exactly what building in public is all about -- Selling. Once I got that clarity, I was sold on Build in Public. What better way to learn how to sell my product. What do you think?

Replies

levene
    I can't agree to any more.
    Toli
    What I found is that Building in Public is very close to contributing to open-source projects on GitHub. You roll-out your idea as frequently as possible, raw, and get people commenting. You get some good feedback and adjust fast! But your point gives another angle to the entire concept! I'm currently working on a language learning app that explains grammar of sentences, https://wordplay-rho.vercel.app/, and during my mini-launch a week or so ago, I didn't expect much. But people some people actually were interested, to my surprise, even in that raw state! I still see some activity in my OpenAI usage dashboard :) very encouraging, for me it was sort of a given that it won't fly at all in such a state, I was just mini-launching to follow the process. Do you have any build-in-public communities you can recommend? Is that hashtag you mentioned a hashtag on Twitter?
    Cyril Gupta
    CloudFunnels AI
    CloudFunnels AI
    @anatoliik how do you intend to monetize it?
    Toli
    @cyriljeet subscription model. The app you see now is just a proof-of-concept. I want people to learn on the content of their preference. People upload the text in foreign language, the app explains every sentence. The free plan can include limited texts per month. The paid plan can remove this limitation and also add extra features like possibility to organize content by folders. Ideally I wanted to narrow-down to the niche of learning from songs. But probably will have to pivot as lyrics are copyrighted apparently, and I can't get them even if I pay.
    Sanjay Banerjee
    thanks for the inspiration