• Subscribe
  • Everything is allowed in love and war. But what unfair practices have you encountered in business?

In marketing it can be deceptive advertising/commercial, in the case of SEO, embedding words on the website and colouring the font and background with the same colour so that the keyword is not visible. (just giving an example) Every day showcasing your business and competing with others feels like a war. šŸ˜€ What about your experiences?

Replies

Marvin MƤndle
    One colleague of my company got randomly reported here on Product Hunt for no reason and she lost all her kitty points. It was a lot of communication with the support team of PH to get her account back. Don't understand people who are doing things like that and see this as "war". In my opinion everybody should play the game fair because together we are stronger. I believe in the good in people, but there are always black sheep (we say in Germany :D)!
    Simona O'Neill
    @marvin_maendle Iā€™m also in support of a fair game , but unfortunately thatā€™s not how this world works. Itā€™s sad really, but some people always have and always will be trying to gain an unfair advantage.
    Business Marketing with Nika
    minimalist phone: creating folders
    @marvin_maendle @simona_o_neill3 people who know how to find holes in the system and circumvent the rules usually somehow "win". And then I think to myself: Oh, I'm a fool if only I were a little less honest. šŸ˜…
    Marvin MƤndle
    @busmark_w_nika in which area of Germany are you?
    @marvin_maendle and you? :)
    Arthur Leclercq
    Once, not that far in time, my mail address got blocked... I have sent too many mails to reach out new people. Lesson is learnt haha
    @arthur_leclercq can the email address be blocked? How? Like newsletter spam or regular mail? :D
    Arthur Leclercq
    @busmark_w_nika yes it can... by your email provider if indeed you send too many mails on a medium period of time
    Simona O'Neill
    Stealing other peopleā€™s content or ideas and presenting them as your own. Happened to me before and I was really angry and upset at the time. Now, looking back I kind of feel sorry for people like that. They obviously donā€™t have enough creativity and are just copy cats. My conscience is always clear and thatā€™s how I like to live my life.
    @simona_o_neill3 you need to take it this way: You are so good (and top of their minds ā€“ top-notch) that your content is worth of stealing. :D But I feel you. It is a disappointment.
    @busmark_w_nika are you asking about the Tech side only or we can list human behaviour as well :D
    @mehtab__faiz So? :D I am listening those bad things
    Boris Markarian
    Sugar Free: Food Scanner
    Sugar Free: Food Scanner
    Everything is allowed in love? I've never heard about it. Now I know šŸ˜
    Michael
    I've seen a few shady things in business. Fake reviews and keyword stuffing are some common ones. We focus on staying honest and delivering real value. its okay to building trust.
    Ena Gluhakovic
    Ah, the dark side of the boardroom! Well, let's just say I've seen some businesses play a game of Monopoly with real-life consequences, bending the rules like they're made of elastic and treating ethics like they're optional accessories. But hey, in the game of business, it seems some folks think the end justifies the means... even if it means flipping the board and scattering all the pieces!
    Daniel Engelke
    Iā€™ve seen: - Investors pretending to be interested in investing to learn information for one of our competitors who they had invested in and not told us - Competitors pretending to be potential customers to try and get information from us - Competitors creating fake LinkedIn and Reddit profiles to pretend to be customers using their product In all of these situations behaving unethically caught up with them and it hurt their businesses, but is super annoying when it occurs.
    @gelks wow, when I think about that, those are actually good competitor tactics :D why I haven't come up with that? :D