• Subscribe
  • Dear software engineer, are you scared by ChatGPT?

Anthony Riera
    3 replies
    Hey there I'm a software engineer and a lot of my peers around seem to be really scared about ChatGPT and the impact it can have on our future. I'm curious to get your point of view?

Replies

haha.og
    I do think it will be quite a while before experienced programmers need to worry...as in, I think there will still be MANY (and more every year) companies/projects looking for human software engineers for at least the next 10-15 years. I have limited programming experience, and I'm excited about ChatGPT because it can be very helpful with speeding up my coding and working through issues. I think ChatGPT for many years will mostly be a tool that assists software engineers. It will help up-and-coming coders get up to speed faster. It will help the experienced get work done faster. It will help us all be more creative. I think software engineers should start experimenting with, and using ChatGPT ASAP. All creators of all industries should. Learn the different ways you can prompt it. Learn the variety of outcomes you can get it to provide. It's a new tool that will help us be more creative. I would only worry if you plan to not learn to use it, but why wouldn't you?
    haha.og
    @anthony_riera1 100%! Yes, you quickly learn that you must think through everything and give it VERY clear instructions, then review and re-iterate. "If you work with it on very small pieces of code, I think it's alright, otherwise it just become a giant puzzle and you'd end up losing time." - This is exactly how I see it mostly being used for programming for quite a long time.
    Anthony Riera
    @batteystreetventures Yes I totally agree with you, my experience with it was really good! At first I had this "wow"effect, I was blown away by how fast and how accurate it can gives me the code I need. But also it was quickly extremely hard to use it as the codebase grew. If you work with it on very small pieces of code, I think it's alright, otherwise it just become a giant puzzle and you'd end up losing time. Thanks for your feedback! 🙏🏻